Monday, April 27, 2009

Thing 7

Well there are clearly so many things available - interesting, valuable, fabulous and totally overwhelming things available - as I knew there would be - that I am quickly approaching overload.

I can in no way rustle up the excitement for introducing more new neat gadgets into my life. I am not an early adopter. I do not look for new gadgets to play with as some folks do. I feel like I can't keep up with the ones I already know about.
I want to use technology for things I already want to do.
Which is why I find makeuseof.com and lifehacker.com interesting.

On makeuseof.com I found a nice group of good sites for kids, GoodGuide for finding and rating "safe, healthy and green products", one called "TypeTester" for comparing fonts online. Then there's a truly strange one called "dead at your age" which just tells you who you've outlived, once you enter your birthdate. You can listen to Louden Wainwright singing "dead skunk in the middle of the road" or a bit from Queen's "another one bites the dust" while you read. Until you remind yourself that you've wasted a huge chunk of time on mostly pure silliness.

On lifehacker I came across a cool coffee liqueur recipe that I'm going to have to try. I did something similar years ago, but this guy (Jason Fitzgerald is his name, and instructables.com is the site) has you carmelizing the sugar first. I like the person-to-person online sharing it encourages, and know I'll have fun with other DIY projects.

2 comments:

  1. I actually think we don't spend enough time wasting huge chunks of time on pure silliness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you need any taste-testers?

    ReplyDelete